Hi, I'm McKinzie
Hey friend! Welcome to my little piece of the internet. I started Moms Make Cents in June of 2016 to help teach moms how to build profitable blogs and businesses so they could have the freedom to stay home with their kiddos.
I've been blogging since June 2012 and have been in love with online marketing ever since. I have learned so much in the last five years and I am so glad that you are here and that I can share that with you. I have a unique perspective because I have worked on both sides of the blogging sphere. I've had multiple blogs, but I've also worked as a brand manager coordinating collaborations with bloggers and influencers.
Now a little bit about me, I am a mama to the sweetest little two-year-old boy, wifey to my college sweetheart, a chocolate addict and country music lover.
MOMS MAKE CENTS - THE BACK STORY
In March 2015, one month before I was going to have our first baby the company my husband worked for started to struggle. Rumor of layoffs kept popping up left and right and immediately all of the employees pay was cut by 1/3. Not super comforting when the next month you are supposed to start living on one income!
It had always been my dream to stay at home with my little ones and all the sudden that was seeming far away. I frantically started searching for ways to work from home, but all I could find were customer service jobs at $10/hour and I still would have to get a babysitter.
After a couple months of defeat I took matters into my own hands and decided that I would create my own business and work for myself.
Eventually, in that first year as a stay-at-home mom I built three businesses to help keeps our family afloat. As more of my husband's coworkers started to hear about what I was doing with the businesses their wives started to ask me for advice and help and starting their own!
One night I was writing up a long word document about one of the businesses I was running (that word doc eventually turned into this blog post) to give to one of the other wives when all of the sudden it dawned on me.
If there were this many women close to home that needed help, imagine how many more I could help if I could take this online...and all the sudden Moms Make Cents was born.
Where I am at now
Almost exactly two years from when my little boy was born I was able to retire my hubby and now we work on the businesses from home together full-time.
I'm actively managing two businesses right now,
1. This blog - with a lot of hard work over the last year and a half I have been able to build up enough revenue streams on this site via my own products and affiliate marketing that I am able to make a consistent income.
If you want to learn more about affiliate marketing check out these posts,
If you want to learn more about how I create my products you can check out this post,
2. I am an MLM rockstar - No one is more surprised by this than me! I never wanted to be "that MLM girl." I signed up with this company for the discount not thinking of it as a business opportunity.
But... after a few months I realized the huge potential and that with my online marketing experience I could approach this in a unique way without being salesy, pushy, or spammy and things took off.
Within six months I was making almost DOUBLE what I made at my full-time job before becoming a stay-at-home mom. It has been such a huge blessing to our family and I know in my heart that God lead me to this opportunity.
If you do direct sales and want a few pointers about what to do and what not to do check out this post here.
Or if you are interested in building a business or want an additional revenue stream for your blog check out this post about how to join my team here. You will get direct training from me, weekly video coaching calls, an entire course that teaches everything from how to collect payments to social media marketing and more!
RESOURCES FOR YOU
I want to help you as much as I can so I have created a few resources to help you get started.
1. The Best Resources For Bloggers - I've put together a list of the resources that I use every day in my business. These are my favorite tools for email marketing, social media, and blogging. You can check out the best resources for bloggers here.
2. Pinterest Primer - One thing you will learn about me super quick is that I LOVE Pinterest. It is incredibly powerful tool for driving traffic to your blog or business website. I've put together a free five day course with over an hour of video lessons to help you master Pinterest. You can grab a spot in the free Pinterest course here.
3. How To Start A Blog - One of the questions I get most commonly asked is how to actually start a blog, so I created a step-by-step guide with tons of pictures to help you get started! I promise it is easier than you think. Click here to learn how to start a blog.
4. Facebook Group + Freebies - I also host a Facebook community with over 16,000 other bloggers. It is a place for you to connect collaborate and share your work! I also have created a collection of resources to help you get started including a 30+ page guide for getting traffic to your site, 25 styled stock photos, and the ultimate list of blogging freebies with over 100 more free resources to help you build your blog. To get access to the Facebook group and freebies enter you email in over here and I'll send you the links + downloads!